Raglan, a company consisting of veterans, specializes in the conversion of classic Land Rovers to run on battery power. With a mission to provide sustainable and high-performing vehicles, Raglan has gained recognition for its innovative approach to preserving iconic vehicles while reducing their carbon footprint.
Recently, Raglan’s conversion of an original Defender caught the attention of car enthusiast Jay Leno, who featured it on his show “Jay Leno’s Garage.” During the episode, Raglan’s founder, Joe Comiskey, introduced Jay Leno to the converted Land Rover and explained the technology behind it.
Raglan’s conversions are the result of a combination of proprietary and Tesla technology. They utilize a single motor sourced from old Teslas, which is then paired with Raglan’s own gearset and inverter specifically designed to suit the Defender. This integration allows the vehicle to retain its mechanical four-wheel-drive system while providing a peak output of 600 hp. As a result, the converted Defender can accelerate from 0 to 60 mph in approximately five seconds, showcasing the impressive power and performance achieved through the conversion process.
Comiskey and his team at Raglan have prioritized recreating the original driving experience of the Land Rover Defender. They have taken great care in developing and fine-tuning the throttle response to provide a more linear feel, ensuring that drivers can enjoy a familiar driving experience. Additionally, Raglan’s converted Defenders offer various driving modes, including the option to switch on or off regenerative braking, adding further customization to the driving experience.
One of the key elements of Raglan’s converted Defenders is the battery system. Each vehicle is equipped with an 85-kWh battery unit, which Raglan estimates can offer a range of between 150 and 200 miles on a single charge. To maintain the weight balance of the original vehicle, 75% of the battery is ingeniously placed under the hood, while the remaining 25% is placed in the mid-section of the vehicle. This placement ensures that the vehicle’s handling and performance remain consistent with the original design. Furthermore, Raglan vehicles support DC fast charging, allowing for a full charge in approximately 90 minutes.
Headquartered in Wilmington, North Carolina, Raglan puts approximately 2,000 hours of meticulous craftsmanship into each vehicle. Their work extends beyond the powertrain, as the company is committed to restoring every aspect of the vehicle. While about 60% of the original parts are typically retained, Raglan ensures that each vehicle is refurbished and enhanced to meet modern comfort and convenience standards.
For buyers interested in Raglan’s converted Defenders, there are numerous personalization options available. In the case of the Defender featured on “Jay Leno’s Garage,” the vehicle was equipped with a convertible top and Connolly leather trim. The use of Connolly leather is particularly noteworthy as it mirrors the same high-quality leather utilized in early Land Rovers, maintaining a connection to the vehicle’s heritage. Additionally, Raglan offers the option to integrate modern audio, climate, and infotainment systems, allowing buyers to enjoy the best of both worlds – classic design and modern functionality.
Raglan’s dedication to sustainability, performance, and craftsmanship has made them a leader in the industry. Their conversions of classic Land Rovers to run on batteries not only offer an eco-friendly alternative, but they also preserve the essence and charm of these iconic vehicles. With Raglan’s commitment to personalization and attention to detail, each vehicle is a testament to the company’s mission of providing sustainable and enjoyable driving experiences for Land Rover enthusiasts around the world.