Prominent YouTube content creator DidYouKnowGaming was recently hacked, with the hacker promoting XRP cryptocurrency scams using the account. While these kinds of hacks are not new, there has been an increase in the number of YouTube creators on the platform reporting similar incidents. DidYouKnowGaming tweeted about the hack, and a member of TeamYouTube swiftly responded, requesting further information so that the account could be restored.
After gaining access to the account, the hacker changed the profile and cover images to Ripple’s logo, and YouTube intervened to prevent the hackers from interacting with the channel’s subscribers. However, the threat to crypto investors from these kinds of hacks remains prominent, considering the rise of deepfakes, which are fake impersonation videos generated by artificial intelligence (AI) tools.
Hackers are known to create deepfakes of prominent individuals in the crypto industry, such as Tesla CEO Elon Musk, to misguide crypto investors. In addition, concerns about deepfakes have escalated since Tencent, a Chinese tech giant, launched a new deepfakes creation tool, enabling anyone to impersonate anyone for 1,000 yuan ($145). Although the company claimed the service would be used to host live-streamed infomercials for the Chinese demographic, the potential for misuse is a significant concern.
Crypto investors across the world use YouTube to learn about cryptocurrencies, blockchain, and Web3. With this in mind, investors must remain cautious and aware of potential deepfake scams when watching these videos. Cybersecurity experts advise that investors should quickly spot a deepfake crypto scam and always research the individuals and companies mentioned in the video.
To aid in the research process, here are five YouTube channels that can help investors and enthusiasts with their Web3 development research:
1. VoskCoin – this channel mainly focuses on cryptocurrency mining and reviews mining equipment, as well as providing tips and tricks for building a more efficient mining rig.
2. Ivan on Tech – known for his blockchain-centered courses, this channel is great if you’re looking to deepen your knowledge of cryptocurrencies from a development standpoint.
3. Nugget’s News – this channel provides daily updates on blockchain and cryptocurrency news and markets, with interviews from experts in the industry.
4. Crypto Crow – covering everything from blockchain technology to cryptocurrency investing and trading, this channel is a great resource for newcomers looking to learn about cryptocurrencies.
5. Andreas Antonopoulos – this channel provides technical insights into cryptocurrencies and the blockchain industry, with Antonopoulos giving talks and presentations on various topics.
Investors should be cautious and remain vigilant when watching YouTube content and ensure they do thorough research before making any investments or transactions. By learning from credible sources and staying informed, investors can stay ahead of deepfake scams and better protect their investments in the crypto space.